The main roles of the post
- Arranging visits by, and of, Members of the Royal family to Cheshire, including the planning and co-ordination of programmes, security and briefing on local issues.
- Representing HM The Queen in carrying out a variety of duties connected with the Armed Forces (e.g., in attending the funerals of service personnel killed abroad; in receiving Units on return from service overseas), and presenting certain Honours, Medals and Awards (e.g., local presentation of BEM, the Elizabeth Cross, The Queen’s Award for Enterprise and The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service).
- Assessing and encouraging local nominations for Honours, for attendance at Buckingham Palace Garden Parties, and for The Queens Award for Voluntary Service.
- Leading the local Magistracy as Chairman of the Lord Chancellor’s Advisory Committee for Cheshire on Justices of the Peace.
- Supporting and promoting a wide range of local voluntary civic and social activity and supporting local businesses.
- Connecting Businesses with the Voluntary Sector
One of the most important projects for the Lieutenancy is to act as a bridge builder between Cheshire businesses and Cheshire charities. We are doing this initially in conjunction with Cheshire Voluntary Action and with Business in the Community who are widening their area of activity to cover Cheshire. The Lord-Lieutenant would be delighted to hear from any business who would like to help the community particularly by helping in any way with the skills needed by Charities, including Marketing, I.T., P.R., Finance, Legal, etc.
- Working with Local Authorities
The Cheshire Lieutenancy covers the ceremonial county of Cheshire which includes the territory of Cheshire West and Chester Council, Cheshire East Council, Warrington Council and Halton Borough Council. The Lieutenancy works closely with all four local authorities.
- Ambassador for Cheshire
A significant role of the Lieutenancy is to be an Ambassador for all things Cheshire ranging from supporting the rural sector and in particular “Made in Cheshire” food, to supporting the establishment of the Local Enterprise Partnership (L.E.P.) in Cheshire and Warrington.
- Making the Monarchy Relevant at the Beginning of the 21st Century
The Lieutenancy is the local representation of Her Majesty the Queen and of the Royal Family. As such, everything it does to try to add value to the community is itself an example of the good which the Monarchy does for the nation. In particular, the Lieutenancy is actively involved in supporting numerous Cheshire charities in every area of voluntary endeavour.